Friday, September 23, 2011

Trip To L.A

Back in July of 2011 8 winners of the Hero Dog Awards were announced. Each dog and their handler won a 5,000 donation to their charity of their choice as well as a trip to L.A for an awards ceremony that will be held at the Beverly Hill Hilton.

Stacey & I won first place out of 100 other Therapy dogs and their handlers. The American Humane Society sent out a film crew from L.A to our small town, Guffey Colorado. They spent the day with us at the nursing home filming Jackie, Ken, Stacey and Me. Once we finished we went up to the house and they did an hour long interview with me. They will be taking the clips that they got from the filming and turn it into a 3 minute video. The awards ceremony will be on the Hallmark Channel on November 11th. I am not sure what time it will air yet. Once I get the time I will let everyone know.

It really has hit me on what exactly I won. I think the people around me are a bit more excited them I am. I am sure once I get to L.A it will hit me.

I really think it is amazing though to see how far the Teddy Bear Project has gone from December 2010 when I first started. As of today I have collected 1967 teddy bears and stuffed animals for sick kids in the hospital and elderly in the nursing homes. I never thought I would collect this much. To be honost I thought I would only collect 100. It's amazing to see how many people will come together to help someone out. People from Australia, Canada, United Kindom etc have sent bears.

Now others are interested in starting the Teddy Bear Project in their area. As far as I know people from, Florida,  Canada and California has started a Teddy Bear Project.

I am planning on expanding more on the Teddy Bear Project. I am going to start looking into getting a non-profit status for my project so I can do more with my Project. I have been wanting to send out care packages to kids fighting Cancer and other illnesses but it has just been so difficult since everything is coming out of my own pocket.

I want to Thank everyone for supporting me along my journey with my project over the last few months.
Especially my teachers Mr. Aamodt, Mrs. Harkins. Mrs. Miller, Mrs Jackson and Dr. Riendeau.

Filming at PCC in Canon City, Colorado


Stacey Mae's Facebook Link: http://www.facebook.com/StaceyMaeTBP

Teddy Bear Project Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ChRI_ZrO5yA

American Dog Magazine Article: http://www.theamericandogmag.com/dog-profiles/amazing-dog-stacey-mae-mountain-summer-2011

No comments:

Post a Comment